7/8/08

Tuesday, July 8th

1st day of class yesterday. Check-in details at 8am (passport, medical certificate, etc.), then introductions and orientation. As expected, I'm the old fart. The remaining 5 in my class range from 21-25. Hell, the oldest instructor I've met is 28. Afternoon spent watching Flight 101 videos. Homework is chapter 2 of the text which I've read about 5 times already.

2nd day today. Review of chapter 2 (aced) and chatted about maneuvers and expectations for the program and from their students. We all got a visit and stern talkin-tuh from the chief pilot, who warned us of the hazards of falling behind (25% washout rate!) and breaking/bending the ATP code-of-conduct. Shouldn't be an issue (as I sit here with a Heineken in my hand).

Airborne by 3pm... first flight in the Cessna 172R, ident N920TA. I missed the opportunity to snap a picture of her, since her next flight was to ATP's Houston location, but I have attached a pic of her twin sister. I'll start bringing my camera to class.

ANYWAY... preflight checklist, taxi and takeoff clearance, and full throttle up done by yours truly. Takeoff roll and climb done with help, but I was given the controls back at about 200ft and was tasked with taking us to 2500ft and on south to the practice area above Venus, Maypearl, and Alvarado TX . Completed some basic maneuvers, including a 180-degree turn. Not much traffic... just two Southwest 737s above us (both on approach to Dallas Love Field) and a fellow classmate behind and below me in another Cessna. Moderate turbulence (hot day, gusty winds, thermals). Got us back to Arlington and into the landing pattern before instructor Sean took over the base and final legs for landing. He says the next landing is all mine. Sean's a good and patient instructor... he's a veteran of the same program. Finished the day soaked with sweat (heat, not nerves), and feeling pretty satisfied with 1.5 hours in my logbook. I'm happy with the Dallas location choice for several reasons (heavy traffic area, Dave nearby), but there's another reason I hadn't considered... there's no terrain here! These flat Texas horizons make maintaining orientation difficult, and that challenge will make me a pretty good pilot, methinks.

Tomorrow is chapter 3 review, steep turns, and ground reference maneuvers (staying oriented while making different types of turns). They don't dawdle, these guys.

No comments: