7/24/08

Thursday, July 24th

Discouraged and exhausted, but still hopeful.

Yesterday the ATP brass selected two of us to solo, and I wasn't one. I'm stuck on those damn landings and they want to see improvement before I take one of their planes out all by my lonesome. Understandable, but still...

Of the two that soloed, only Daniel made it a successful run. Mike came back deflated... his nerves got the better of him midflight and he'll have to regroup and try again soon. Big congrats to Daniel, though. One down, five of us to go.

I did, however, complete my first cross-country flight yesterday. Well, since this is merely the first of several requirements to demonstrate proficiency of pilotage and dead-reckoning, this was more of a cross-county... 53nm southeast to Corsicana, proud former home of Wolf Brand Chili. Lots of fun. Got to really plan out a trip and use map landmarks to spot my position out the window from 3,500 feet up. Joe Pool Lake... town of Midlothian... Lake Waxahachie... railroad... town of Bardwell... bridge... town of Emhouse... Corsicana! Did some maneuvers on the way back and felt great about them all for the first time.

No flight today, but should be heading up tomorrow morning with lead instructor Matt, who I've been anxious to fly with. I think a new instructor's input might help me get past the landing bugaboo that's been plaguing my progress.

Lots of support around here. All three of my roommates have been through this rigmarole, and sharing experiences with other pilots around ATP about has been really encouraging.

More soon!

1 comment:

MEast said...

Hang in there, Cap. You'll get the hang of it. I think you're screaming along... but then what do I know. ;)