9/11/08

Thursday, September 11th

Summer appears to be drawing to a close here in Texas... the weather is getting more predictable. Unfortunately it's predictably cloudy, and I gotta fly VFR for the next few weeks. On top of that, we've got Hurricane Ike threatening our livelihoods. Due to hit Houston Friday night with 100mph winds and hit us with 40-50mph winds by Saturday and into Sunday.

Day four of ACPP and I'm already getting a little bored with the simulator. It's fun, and remarkably close to the real thing, but it's just no substitute for actually going wheels-up. Today though, a break in the weather sent everyone scrambling for the ramp, and I got in on it. Troy (our main instructor for this phase) and I head out to 910KT... a 2000 model Seminole.


Preflight, left engine start, right engine start, taxi. It's already feeling very different, being a twin engine with low wings instead of the single engine high-wing Cessna. And remarkably cramped. I had heard this, but with kneeboard and headset attached and the door closed, it really became clear that sharing this space meant getting really familiar with your flight partner. And since the trim controls and fuel selectors are located between the seats... even more so. Excuse me... pardon me... my fault... 'scuse me...

Taxiing in an unfamiliar airplane is a bit awkward, but I get the hang of it quickly. After mistakenly identifying myself as 920TA (one of the Cessnas), I correct and get takeoff clearance. Man, this is what simulator just can't simulate. Full throttle in the Seminole really pushes you into your seat, and takeoff speed (75 knots) comes fast. I gasp at the rotation as we get off the ground.

"Positive rate... gear up."

I had feared forgetting to bring the gear up (a common error), but I didn't. We're off and flying. The terrain passes underneath us far quicker than I'm accustomed, but other than that it's not much different to fly this baby. I demo some maneuvers (stalls, slow flight, steep turns) like I did in the simulator, and did okay. Another few flights and I should be good to go for the checkride. Shot a few landings at Mid-Way, and also did fine. Much different landing the Seminole, since it doesn't float down the runway like the Cessna, but it's similar enough to get the hang of fairly quickly. One more landing at Arlington and we're done.

Excited beyond belief. This bird will be my home for the next 3 months.

1 comment:

MEast said...

When are you coming to pick me up in that there flying contraption, Tobin?!

In the immortal words of Ahnold: "Keep youah het dahwn!"